2007年10月15日星期一

Soe Aung


I met Soe Aung 2 years ago when I was attending a workshop in Kuala Lumpur (吉隆坡)

Soe Aung is the delegate of the National Council of the Union of Burma, which is based in Thailand. So Aung was friendly, gentle and kind. When he learnt that I am from Hong Kong, he said that I should treasure the freedom there. I told him I am the supporter of Aung San Suu Kyi (昂山素姬). She is a respectable woman and I long to see her free.

Soe Aung told me stories about democracy movement in Burma during the 80’s. He talked about student movement and the subsequent crackdown by the military. He also talked about arrest and execution … And because of the crackdown, he fled to Thailand in 1990, leaving his parents and wife since. I almost burst into tears when I heard that he had not heard from his family for 15 years. Soe Aung is a strong man, he comforted me by saying that he did for the freedom of his fellow Burmese and it values.

About a week ago, democracy movement in Rangoon led by monks rocked the world. Later I saw Soe Aung being interviewed in the new report and that reminded me of an old friend.

I searched for my name card to find Soe Aung’s email address and sent my regards to him and his fellow Burmese immediately.

Soe Aung has been updating me on the situation in Burma and asked me to spread the news around.

I’ve been observing the saffron revolution (袈裟革命) hoping for a peaceful solution there and the coming democracy in Burma.Also hope Soe Aung can go home at last.

Election Advertisement (electronic advertisement -- produced by the candidate's own office machine) 15-10-2007

沒有留言: